Pages

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

The Silver Spoon Cookbook: review

The Silver Spoon Cookbook

My brother bought me The Silver Spoon as a present several years ago. I like to think of it as the Italian Joy of Cooking. It is laid out very similarly in terms of - you want recipes for leeks - there's a whole section on it. Want to know about pig parts, it's got graphs and more.

I have yet to make a recipe that hasn't been delicious. What is most amazing and cool about this book is that most of the recipes are very simple. Basically, your veg, butter and salt and pepper. The recipes really highlight the flavor of your basic ingredients and don't dress them up so that other flavors get in the way of your dish.

It is because of this book that I have come to love Ratatouille. If you had told me even five years ago that I would love that dish, I would have thought you were crazy. My husband and I are members of a CSA farm (http://gamblecreekfarm.org/farm/index.html) and this book is great for looking up whatever odd thing we got to find a recipe for it.  I just made the leek sauce that is good with pork and it's seriously yummy.

If you like to cook and you love your Joy of Cooking, as I do, you will probably come to love this book just as much if not more.  It has become my go to book to seek our recipes for ingredients I don't know what to do with. The techniques are easy and you will wonder why you ever thought cooking was difficult. Even making rice the Italian way is an enlightening experience. So much easier and so much tastier.  Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment